Saturday, March 1, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XIX (Thunderbolts #22)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

THUNDERBOLTS #22
Now THIS is the most fun I’ve had reading a comic book in a LOOOOOOONG time. And it all dealt with a battle for rulership of Hell so, you know, go figure.

I got on board with the Thunderbolts relatively late in the game. I want to say around the 110’s of the original series and collected all the TPBs I could to fill in the gaps. It was such an awesome idea at the start. The Masters of Evil pretending to be heroes while the regular heroes were temporarily out of the picture in order to destabilize things—GREAT! Watching these villains try and often fail at the hero gig was very entertaining. The roster and the mandate have changed several times along the way but the team always involved characters on the darker end of the spectrum working towards some sort of redemption. This latest iteration has left the traditional ‘villain’ inclusion and has instead opted for the ‘anti-hero’ corner of the Marvel Universe. Punisher, Elektra, Deadpool & Venom all brought together by the Red Hulk. Along the way they picked up more traditional villain The Leader (now in a red version) and, this issue, Ghost Rider. And they take turns ‘solving’ an outstanding problem for each member of the team in addition to proactive missions for the Red Hulk. This issue sees one of those.

See in addition to these guys, somehow an entity named Mercy ended up on the team. And she’s some kind of crazy powerful collector of souls that Red Hulk/ General Ross can’t control. So he decided to enlist Ghost Rider to send her to Hell where there are plenty of souls to have at. Well there was a mistake and RH, GR, Deadpool and Venom were sent to Hell instead where they encountered a deposed Mephisto who enlisted them to reclaim the throne of hell for him from…Strong Guy!

This is an extra special bonus for me as I followed this whole saga over in X-Factor where Guido/ Strong guy gave up his soul in order to save his teammate. I didn’t think I’d see him again anytime soon and to my surprise and delight, here he is.

This character line up is just so perfect. You’ve got the hardheaded leader in Ross,  the tough as nails Punisher, the deadly Elektra (and a budding ‘relationship’ between the two), Deadpool who’s insanity and hilarity is on full release in this book (and who also has a thing for Elektra causing…issues), plus the contradiction of soldier/psychopath with Flash Thompson wearing the Venom symbiote and the Red leader being dragged along so Ross can keep an eye on him. It’s dynamic, the relationships evolve, they don’t work well together and there is great dark comedy that ensues from that. The missions they go on are important and seem to have consequences and, best of all, tie in with other corners of the Marvel U (like with Guido in this one. The dialogue is snappy and witty and always in character, the plots are tight and well woven (this issue especially, as the Leader beats Mephisto at his own contract-issuing game and Deadpool essentially saves the day, and Punisher’s life, by completing his quest for a replacement hat feather, a long running gag that is expertly paid off here.

I love this book. If you love this kind of comic I urge you to pick it up. Only 22 issues in so it can’t be too wallet crushing to get the individual issues. I think you’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment