Saturday, March 22, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XXXV (Thunderbolts #23)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

THUNDERBOLTS #23
This issue made me sad.


It also made me laugh and shake my head and drool a little bit about how hot Elektra is drawn (side note: my Very Special Lady is also Greek, I may have mentioned this. But I have yet to talk her into wearing an Elektra costume for me. Stay tuned, faithful readers, for how this situation plays out. Does anyone know if Lover’s Lane sells pink, furry sais?). But mostly it made me sad.

Why? Venom is quitting the team.

I REALLY like this new Venom iteration. Like a lot a lot. Like I bought the Marvel Select action figure of him when I had sworn off of them. I was never a big Flash Thompson fan. I knew who he was, I knew what he was to Peter Parker and, as a fellow nerd myself, would never, ever root for the jock jackass picking on the character I was in the middle of identifying with. But he redeemed himself. He always idolized Spider-Man (irony!) and wanted to emulate him so, having no powers, he joined the military to make a difference and ultimately has his legs amputated for his trouble. He comes back to the states and drifts for awhile until he is offered the chance to bond with the Venom symbiote by the military. He would be a more directed hero, only allowed to possess the symbiote for 48 hours at a time to avoid permanent bondage, sent on government sanctioned missions, etc. Along the way he’s had his own title (which I STILL need to read), been a member of the Secret Avengers and now the Thunderbolts. Flash liked was recruited into the T-bolts by General Ross and liked the idea of a strike team, with a trusted military man at the helm, where he could still make a difference. And he has been a valued member of the team, if not a full front member (like Deadpool or Punisher).

So what’s this about him leaving? This issue starts with the ‘one for you’ name draw to determine who dictates the next mission. Deadpool gets it and begins to detail his appropriately insane job when Flash speaks up and asks Deadpool to give him his slot. Why, you ask? Because he’s leaving the team and he wants this mission to be for the rest of the team to try and stop the symbiote. See, the symbiote thrives on killing and bloodshed. Flash struggles to keep it in line, but with the ‘Bolts, it always ends up that killing is the solution. And Flash doesn’t trust himself so he wants the team to stop him. To stop it.

This, as you would imagine, devolves into the Venom on the loose in the base and the team playing catch up to try and stop him. He goes through Ghost Rider, Punisher and Elektra pretty easily (although I don’t buy that the symbiote’s history of sin is enough to turn GR into a puddle of regret after a Penance stare, but what do I know?). Ross determines they need to act as a team and his plan (very Scooby Doo-like in nature) results in Ross/ Red Hulk clapping and some device that the Leader built in 5 minutes converts said clap into a sonic blast which separates Flash and the symbiote.

BUT WAIT! Flash takes it immediately back onto him. Why? Because this was a test. He IS leaving the unit but he wanted to make sure that if he ever truly lost control of the symbiote, SOMEBODY could take him out. He now knows this and walks off into the sunset (moon-set?). Along the way Venom told some difficult truths to the members of the team and he ACTUALLY chewed up and spit out Deadpool.

As sad as the outcome was, it was a solid book, with some killer fights, still the level of irreverent comedy I expect from this book and if he had to leave, I suppose this was the best way to do it.

I just can’t wait to see where he ends up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment