Tuesday, March 4, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XXI (Teen Titans #28)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

TEEN TITANS #28

Okay, okay, here’s where I give Marvel a break and return my ire to where it truly belongs: DC Comics.


Let me see if I completely understand what’s going on in this book: So Bart Allen, Kid Flash, is actually some kind of revolutionary from the future. He traveled back to OUR time as some sort of witness protection program or something. But the law of the future is still looking for him there. I guess he was a leader in the organization, bad person, caused a lot of trouble. Now, in about as loose a connection to Forever Evil as you can get, the Crime Syndicate has thrown him (and all his teammates) back to the future where he’s a wanted criminal and now he’s on the hook and standing trial for his crimes.

So, as the way in comics, his team has been torn between upholding the law of this new time they have found themselves in and helping out their friend who they, of course, don’t believe is as bad as all that, all evidence to the contrary. So they’ve been fighting with the locals, fighting with each other, arguing with the version of Brainiac 5 that’s in charge (because in these future scenarios you KNOW there’s a Brainiac 5 nearby). And now they are stuck in the middle trying to keep the remaining revolutionaries, excited by Bart’s return, from killing all the people in charge (The Functionary).

Maybe I’m too old to be reading this book. It just seems so…trite. 

“After all we’ve been through, as Titans, as friends, why didn’t you tell us? We could have helped you!”

“You have to see him for who he is! Not who you desperately want him to be!”

“In my head I understand she’s right. In my heart he’s still that goofball who borrowed my shirt to be annoying”

Blergh. This is written worse than 90210. Both of them. Except for the episode about gun control in the first series, the one where David Silver's friend with the cowboy hat accidentally kills himself. That one is legendary television. I digress.

Then THEN We discover that the whole thing, the whole leading the rebellion, Bart’s entire motivation is all about survivor’s guilt from his parents and wanting to make them proud.

That’s it. 

And it takes his sister showing up in a giant ass spaceship threatening to blow up EVERY living thing in the vicinity, Rebellion and Functionary (and Titans) just to end the rebellion.

“But what would our parents want??” “They’d want you to come home” And hug and collapse.

Vomit. 

Just clichéd and lazy writing. Then there’s the obligatory ending scene where they all stand up for Bart’s judgment, he’s remanded to a prison planet and his team shouts an uproar but Bart says no, don’t fight it. Not because it’s the LAW that he just subjected himself to, but because his jailers are time travelers and would only hunt them all down forever if they were to bust him out. So the message here is ‘don’t break the law because it’ll be a great big hassle for the rest of their lives’. Aces.

THEN in the first surprising moment of the book, the Solstice character who is in love with Bart, was imprisoned with him way back at the start refuses to be left behind without him and insists she go with him. The magistrates say ‘Absurd, you have committed no crime”. SO SHE BLASTS HIM! And then says ‘there’s my crime, take me away!’ This is pretty serious! They are changing the game!

I’ll stick around for the next issue, mostly because the series is over in a couple issues, but this thing just never seemed to click with me. Again, I’m probably too old.

And who’s this damn Superboy that’s along for the ride? This isn’t the regular Superboy! Get offa my lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment