Thursday, March 13, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XXIX (Captain Marvel #1)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #1


This probably seems like an unusual choice for me to review. And it kind of is. But the boss slips a book into your pull box with a sticky on it reading "Dance, Monkey, Dance"...well, you start grooving.  So here I am looking at Captain Marvel #1 and having no idea at all what's going on.

I collected the adventures of Carol Danvers some time ago, most likely because I enjoyed the costume she wore at the time. Hey, I like my comics with healthy doses of scantily clad women. If you didn't know this about me, this must be the first review you've read. But aside from her team adventures in the various Avengers titles I read, well, I knew she changed her costume and went back to the 'Captain' moniker but how she ended up living in the Statue of Liberty is anybody's guess.

Yeah. She's living in the head of Lady Liberty with some redhead friend of hers and her kid. Who, why and how, I have no idea. Before THAT she and an unfamiliar crew of aliens land on some planet on some job like she's on the gorram Serenity (that reference brought to you by the fact that I just started watching Firefly). There's trouble from some kind of security force from some other planet. I don't know. Before she left earth she was fighting alongside Jim Rhodes of War Machine/ Iron Patriot fame (who she is also dating I guess) and they find a rogue rocket containing one of her future crew members. A little later she meets up with Tony Stark who tells her he's thinking about putting an Avenger into space on a rotating basis to ride with the Guardians of the Galaxy and wants her to be it. She then has to explain this to Rhodey and it's appropriately difficult to read for anyone that's ever had to say goodbye to someone they really really liked. Then she flies off.

But, and this is why an otherwise ok first issue (assuming you'd read the last series and know how she got here) goes completely south into predictable territory. As Carol flies off, the thought boxes tell the analogy of a little girl running so fast she falls but she flies in that second before crashing to the ground and that's what Carol is after, that feeling again and also to figure out her place in the world and blah blah blah.

They're fine sentiments, but for the love of a swimsuit with a sash, did the writer have to paint it on my eyeballs? I will not be continuing this series, but if you are looking for an empowered female superhero book, perhaps she's even Marvel's Wonder Woman', and either read the previous series or care enough to look it up, this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment