Thursday, March 27, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XXXIX (Silver Surfer #1)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

SILVER SURFER #1

The cosmic superhero stuff doesn't turn me on. It just doesn't. Never has. And I'm not sure why. I like science fiction in general. I'm a Star Wars and Star Trek fan. But I've just never been drawn to the cosmic characters and stories in comics, Marvel or DC. So your mileage may vary with my opinion on this book (unlike every other review which you blindly accept as fact).

We open with the Surfer relighting a sun for a small solar system and being embarrassed by the accolades from it's inhabitants. And I mean small in size, like way smaller even than the aliens living in the Port Authority Bus Terminal locker in Men In Black 2 (how's THAT for obscure?). He finishes that task and is confronted by some robot space probes that implore him to come help save the Impericon. Somehow the rider of the spaceways has never heard of this place and apparently that is intentional. Being a former herald of Galactus is not highly regarded by the majority of the universe. They have elaborate shielding and defenses to keep his kind away. He agrees and is brought to the Impericon planet/ship/entity/something and is given the tour. It is the 'Impossible Place' and for good reason. It defies logic and physics. He is shown the enemy he must face, the Queen of Nevers, and learns of 'The Motivator'.

Meanwhile, in a concurrently told storyline, we meet young Dawn and Eve Greenwood, young girls living (what some would say) an idyllic life with their father on a place called Anchor Bay. They mistake the Surfer's initial arrival on earth (scouting for Galactus- which apparently only happened twelve years ago now in the new Marvel math) for a falling star and wish on it. Eve wishes to see everything in the world (and eventually does) while Dawn wants a life right where she is. She gets that as well when we flags forward to the present and Dawn and her father have turned their home into a bed and breakfast. She's got some longing for the life her globe hopping sister enjoys but is also the responsible one and settles herself back in to the B & B.

These stories dovetail when The Motivator is activated. It's purpose is to scan the 'champion's' essence, find the person most important to them and teleport them into captivity. Quite a motivator indeed. The Surfer insists he see who has been taken to motivate him and....doesn't recognize Dawn whatsoever.

I like Dan Slott's writing for the most part. He's funny, irreverent and pretty smart. Some of that is on display here. There could be more. But it was an average outing for him.

And here's where I become unpopular (yeah, this is what does it). I don't like Mike Allred's art. It bugs me. Never got into Madman, I started and finished X-Statix purely for Doop. People love it. He's very popular. I get that. He's just not the kind of artist that appeals to me

So I guess if you like Allred and the Silver Surfer, well, you probably already have this book. If you're not into either of those things, this may not be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment