Sunday, February 23, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XVI (Batman & Two Face #28)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

BATMAN & TWO FACE #28

First off SPOILERS! You should really know to expect them from any kind of review blog, especially one as haphazardly thrown together as this one. I mean, hell, some of this stuff I’m asked to read and talk about I could be giving out a spoiler and have no idea I’m doing so. Basically you take your spoiler knowledge in your own hands when you click on one of these diatribes, but ESPECIALLY today. No BS. REAL SPOILERS below!


I used to mostly like this book. Back when it was ‘Batman & Robin’. Even immediately after ***SPOILER*** Robin’s Death ***SPOILER*** when they decided to make it ‘Batman & ___’ and include a rotating cast of ‘sidekicks’. But lately I have been kinda bored. Two Face is ***SPOILER***Not my favorite Bat-villain***SPOILER*** and having to endure, what, 4 issues of it? It’s just trying. Not that they are bad stories, I just don’t get excited about them. There’s even a couple of feisty Irish redheads in this story and its not turning my crank. I don’t know.

So let me see if I have any clue what’s been going on in this book. The one redhead is part of an Irish mob family that were responsible for killing Two-Face’s wife and sending him over the edge into being all insane. Now for some reason she’s back around, Two Face was gunning for her, he scarred her face a little bit in retribution, and she and her henchmen captured Harvey and were set to kill him on live TV. Batman captured McKillen and figured out where she was holding him and ***SPOILER*** burst in just before they could really hurt Two Face. But in the saving and the ensuing conversation we find out ***SPOILER*** Two-Face has known batman’s secret identity FOR YEARS!***SPOILER*** Batman is momentarily taken aback then he and Jim Gordon (even after Two Face shoots him) still try the ‘you were the best of us, the good man I knew is still in there’ crap on Harvey.  Dent’s got Gordon cornered and wounded, he flips the coin and ***SPOILER***it lands on its SIDE!***SPOILER*** This harkens back to Batman’s version of the ‘you’re still a good man’ speech where he says there’s a third side to the coin, the edge, where the two sides come together, blah blah blah. Dent almost shoots Gordon in the head three times, then is interrupted by Batman and escapes. Batman can’t pursue him because Gordon’s bleeding out. We find Two Face alone in a room with his dead wife’s picture and a gun. He plays Russian Roulette with himself and ***SPOILER***Apparently loses.***SPOILER***  So we are left to believe that Two Face has killed himself. For Realz.

What?? ***SPOILER***He’s probably not dead, it’s a comic book.***SPOILER*** And it was such a lame way of going out, was he really THAT moved by what his other two former musketeers said to him that his best choice was to remove himself from the equation? Especially with the object of his rage still out there? That really seems out of character, even for someone with split personality disorder. I’m calling BS and ***SPOILER***he’s back by the end of the year.***SPOILER***

No comments:

Post a Comment