Thursday, February 20, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XIV (GOTG #11)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11

Yes, I know this technically came out like three weeks ago. But who am I if I’m not capitalizing on the latest, hottest thing, huh?

Answer: Nobody, that’s who.


Had you told me a couple years ago that Guardians of the Galaxy (heretofore abbreviated as GOTG because my fingers hurt) would be the comic property everyone is buzzing about and that’s mostly because of the big budget Hollywood movie adaptation coming out soon featuring the slacker from Parks & Recreation, the blue chick from Avatar, some wrestler, John C. Reilly and maybe or maybe not Vin Diesel dressed up like a tree, I would have been all ‘who the hell are you?’ (I probably didn’t know you two years ago) and then I would have been like ‘Why didn’t you just say ‘Zoe Saldana’, you think I don’t know who Zoe Saldana is by name?’ then I’d have said ‘What wrestler? The Honky Tonk Man?’ At which point you would have given up, exasperated, and walked away.

What was I talking about?

Oh, right! This movie looks awesome! As most do from the trailer! But I think, regardless, its gonna make Chris Pratt a star. And I’m still giggling at John C. Reilly as a Nova Corps big shot. Now, what else do I know about this property? Next to nothing!

I am not a big fan of space odyssey comics. Just never have been. Can’t get into them.  I followed most of that last Thanos crossover because it took over all my Avengers books. But I’ve never been into the Silver Surfer, etc. This issue has not yet changed my mind. It’s got the requisite ‘bunch of space dudes standing around talking about some major universe shattering whatsit’ that, as you can see, I have lots of respect for. But it’s also got Bendis, of whom I am a card carrying fanboy/ apologist. He’s in traditional form, providing snappy dialogue which gives me, the new reader, a convenient, bandwagon jumping glimpse at who all these characters are. And I admit, it’s kinda fun. 

I could give two craps less about the Trial of Jean Grey subplot/ crossover that even the characters themselves don’t quite get the logic behind. See, for some reason the original 60’s X-Men have been plucked out of time to the present. And the whosawhatsis empire will take it upon themselves to try and punish ANY Jean Grey from ANY time, regardless of actual culpability for the sins of the OG JG. Whatever. Trans-universal politics is not my area of study.

But like I said, this book is fun and I’ll probably give it another look after this crossover business is done. And hey, it’s got Gamora and Angela, who are extra boobalicious and skimpily dressed.  That’s worth the price of admission for me. 

Plus any chance to turn the screw on Todd McFarlane and use his character in a mainstream MARVEL book gets the thumbs up from me.  F*** that guy. He and I go way back. But that’s a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment