Tuesday, April 29, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode LV (24: Underground #1)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

24: UNDERGROUND #1

Jack Bauer is one of the greatest modern American heroes to have been created in the last 20 years. He has led the hero's journey to end all hero's journeys. From his very first terrible 'day' where he lost his wife to the downward spirals his life has taken along the way and the brief moments of happiness he's experienced only to have them ripped away from him, he's taken it all and still fights for what's right.

I think I will review this comic in real time.

07:34:00 PM
The weird Eastern European dude in line at G-mart ahead of me looking for a comic that isn't out yet and taking way too long to do it finally wanders off. I am now able to harass Pat Loboyko freely while trying not to step on any loose 12 sided dice (it is Game Night). I retrieve my comics, discover that Ryvre wants me to review this 24 comic and head for home.

07:48:00 PM
I arrive at home and clean up the mess the kitten has made (his name is Carlos. He is an asshole). I do the OCD thing I do every week and organize my comics in the order I want to read them. Original Sin #0 gets the top spot. See my other review for how that turned out.

09:55:00 PM
The leftover Chinese food I had for lunch makes it's way to the out door so I grab the latest adventure of Jack Bauer and head for the can.

09:56:04 PM
Carlos butts his way into the bathroom with me and I forcibly eject him. No, he is not named after Carlos Bernard who played Tony Almeida on the old 24 series. My son Logan named him when he thought he was a she. Long story. Yes my son is named after Wolverine.

09:59:36 PM
I have now learned that Jack Bauer has been hiding out in the Ukraine, minding his own business, working a construction job. He's been there for awhile because he's living with the sister of the boss and knows plenty about the family and the screwup brother whose dealings with the Russian Mafia that start the action of this story. Brother owes money, doesn't pay up, is killed, his debt shifts to the respectable brother who happens to have one of the most dangerous men in the world pouring concrete for him. The respectable brother is threatened into stealing a shipment of dangerous chemicals, Jack helps and is stabbed by the truck driver in the process. At the rendezvous with the mob, Jack is recognized by someone from his past (who I should recognize but escapes me). Oh, and the CIA monitoring Odessa, gets video footage of the truck hijacking and of Jack at the wheel and goes into red alert, swearing to bring him in!

10:14:27 PM
While washing my hands I pause to appreciate how well done this issue is. Jack looks like Kiefer and....he's about the only familiar face besides this Russian I can't place. But it FEELS like 24. Kind of like an episode, the same flavor and stakes and such, the same world. But it is adapted well to the printed page.

10:17:38 PM
I change the ringer on my phone back to the CTU ringer, log into my G-Mart account and add this title to my subscriptions and sit down to write this review....

No comments:

Post a Comment