Tuesday, April 1, 2014

COMICS IN THE CAN- Episode XXXXII (Teen Titans #29)

COMICS IN THE CAN
I used to have time to read my comics in a coffee shop. Now I have to read them in the bathroom. Then I write reviews of them. I wash my hands in between.

TEEN TITANS #29

Am I a masochist? I've gone in record for a couple issues now with my dislike of and general annoyance with Teen Titans. Yet here I am reviewing it again. What's next in my downward spiral? Burning myself with cigarettes? Cutting? At the rate I'm going it could go either way. It's possible I need an intervention. Or an 800 number or something. My continued attention to this book is clearly a cry for help.

It is being cancelled though. This is, I think, the next to last issue? Plus an Annual? I don't know. I just know that Teen Titans won't have me to push around for much longer. And I can't say I'm terribly disappointed.

This issue picks up a few hours after the events of last issue where Solstice, crazy in love with Bart, killed someone in public so she would be condemned to the same prison planet as him. We get some pretty good flashbacks into her origins and time in the 'colony'. We get to see how abused and betrayed she was and that provides some insight into her recent actions. She's in a cell next to Bart and Red Robin comes to say his goodbyes and to thank them for being on the team. It's a very mature and heartfelt scene  and they react as such. And I didn't hate it.

The cells are jettisoned and Raven tries to console RR with some if the touchy-touchy but his mind is elsewhere. He catches up with Wonder Girl and has the long awaited 'will they of won't they' moment and they kiss passionately. The three of them have some final words before being shunted back to their own time (asking to be sent back before the Crime Syndicate attacks-this storyline is technically still a spinoff I guess-can't be done) and arrive back in San Francisco in time to help their other teammates that were left behind fight some new villains.

So there was quite a bit if growing up to be had in this issue. I'm kinda surprised and impressed. I'm still happy the title is ending though. It didn't warm the cockles of my cold, cold heart that much. But maybe I'll be a little bits sadder to see it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment